Friday, July 1, 2011

JANAIRAH S. BALINDONG's reflections

“OUR STUDENTS ARE REFLECTION OF WHO WE ARE AS A TEACHER”


“Our students are reflection of who we are as a teacher” is my guiding principle when I chose to become a teacher. I always wanted to the best teacher if not the perfect one.

I believe that I can only be the effective and successful in profession though effective assessment. Assessment as we all know is a part and parcel of teaching. I believe I can only assess the development of my students through reliable, valid assessment in the form of testing, measuring, marking, and making reports.

Assessment, though, exceedingly complex activity it is only through this means that the efficiency of the teacher and the growth and achievement of the student can be evaluated through the use of such devices as check lists, rating scales, test of different aspects of teaching ability, interview, and questionnaires.

Moreover, assessment should be diagnostic, for instance, it should reveal the specific points of strength and weakness in teaching and learning. It should also motivate our students to study. The latter will set-up effective and definite goals for learning. Assessment, too, should enable teachers to discover the needs of his/her students to effectively design what learning experiences will satisfy there need (Gregorio). Furthermore, it should stimulate the cooperation from school, the home, and the community in making significant educational progress. Parents will be given the chance to understand their children’s growth, interest, and potentialities. It is our major responsibility to inform parents regarding their child’s development and progress in the various areas of the curriculum, his desires and motives and behavior they lead to, his potentialities for learning, as well as his achievement.

Likewise, assessment is helpful for teacher as this will enable him/her to see how he can make his contribution to the accomplishment of the total goals or aims of the school system.

Our prime concern as a teacher should be determining the effectiveness of teaching through teaching and learning, this, I believe could only be attained evaluation/assessment.

But, if I have to look back, I could only honestly admit I am not totally successful in performing my task, that, in assessing my students. At times, I am competing with time finishing the allotted time for every subject matter. But guided with my acquired knowledge about the principles of assessment, I could only assured everyone that I am giving my best to be effective assessor of my students’ achievement, especially that I am also burden with other responsibilities like my schooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment